Heart rate on Apple Watch

Hello, I am having difficulty tracking my heart rate on my Apple Watch Series 3. During my intervals, the heart rate says N/A.

Here are my settings.

App Settings

System:

• App: Seconds Pro
  • Version: 3.6.5 (build 220)
  • iOS Version: 11.2.2
  • Device: iPhone X
  • Locale: en_US

Health:

• Share with Health: true

Health Writing:

• Mindful Session: Authorised
  • Basal Energy Burned: Authorised
  • Workout: Authorised
  • Heart Rate: Authorised
  • Active Energy Burned: Authorised

Health Reading:

• Date Of Birth: Denied
  • Height: Denied
  • Body Mass: Denied
  • Biological Sex: Denied

Alerts:

• Using system player: false
  • Alert volume: 1
  • Internal music volume: 1
  • Internal ducking volume: 0.5
  • External ducking: false
  • Vibrate on alerts: false
  • Alert tone: sine

Voice:

• Language: en-US
  • Sample text: (null)
  • Pitch: 1
  • Speed: 0.5

Timer:

• Lock on play: false
  • Disable auto-lock: true
  • Pause on interruptions: false
  • Hide statusbar: true
  • Long press buttons: false
  • Tap timer to play/pause: false
  • Beep on taps: true
  • Notifications: false
  • Remote control: false

Apple Watch:

• watchOS Version: 4.2
  • Paired: true
  • Installed: true
  • Complication: false
  • Alerts: true
  • Volume: 1
  • Haptic: true
  • Skip Restart Screen: false

Misc:

• Preparation Interval: {
    "_type" = int;
    color = 0;
    duration = 0;
    halfwayAlert = 0;
    music = {
    "_type" = music;
    persist = 0;
    resume = 0;
    shuffle = 0;
    volume = 1;
    };
    name = “Get Ready”;
    rest = 1;
    split = 0;
    vibration = 1;
    }

IMG_2598

Everything looks good. Sometimes it takes a little while to pick the heart rate up. Are you waiting long enough?

Hi Dan, thanks for writing back. I think that I am waiting long enough, I’ve waited at least around 2-10 minutes, without anything showing up. I can confirm that the green LEDs are showing up, and that I can monitor it in other similar interval (Intervals) and exercise (Activity) apps.

The attached image is ~ 3 minutes into a 8 minute interval.

I’ve also tried force quitting the Apple Watch app a few times, but that hasn’t helped. I assume that no matter what the timing setting (i.e. any combination of intervals etc) that it should pick up?

Thanks again, would love to get this to work as I am a very happy iPhone Seconds Pro user!

IMG_2598

That should be plenty long enough. In which case I’m afraid I don’t know what the issue could be.

are you setting the workout type? It seems that when I set my workout type on a timer to Other I do not get heart rate displayed (though it gets recorded by the watch when you finish and go look at the data in Activity/Health). I am not sure if there are any other activity types that suffer from the same “problem”/“bug”. To note, this might be the behavior being exhibited if you do NOT have any sort of activity type set on the timer as well

That might have been something to do with it.
It actually is now showing up, but I did have to choose “Indoor Running”. I’ll keep playing around with it.

Seconds Pro / HR
Apple Watch

Thanks for this information. I’ll definitely look into this and see if there is any reason an activity type might affect the heart rate read out.

I’m having the same issue, I have a Bluetooth chest strap and it’s not even coming up under discover heart rate monitors. I know it works because it’s connected to my watch and should read it. I have tried changing the workout from high intensity training to a basic and still nothing, even going a full 35 mins into my workout. I would like to see what my hear rate is on the app, instead I have I click back and forth from my heart rate on my watch. Very annoying. Please advise!

The watch reads your heart rate from Apple Health. It will not connect to an external Bluetooth sensor.

I have the same issue N/A and is really important to me this part, I need for my trainings and I don’t know how to fix the problem. Need help please😓

Have you granted all the required permissions?

So I have a slightly different issue. Than what’s written above. My Apple Watch app works fine in its ability to record HR and send to Apple Health. But when I start the workout from my iPhone, it only works sometimes. All of my workouts have “core training” associated with them and that had worked for a while but it doesn’t seem to do the trick anymore. Any suggestions?

The Apple Watch is not used as a heart rate monitor when starting the timers on the phone. I hope to change this at some point in the future but it’s complicated and requires a lot of planning.

That’s understandable but for the sake of understanding, do you know why it has worked sometimes and not others when initiated from the iPhone?

Another quick question, have you considered adding the audio to the watch?’the reason I use the phone is because I used the text to speech count down function for workouts so I don’t have to look at a device to know what exercise I should be doing

The iPhone app will read heart rate data that is saved in Apple Health. So technically if the watch is recording heart rate data Seconds should be able to read it in.

The watch app has all the same alerts as the iPhone app has. It just doesn’t play music. The reason I’ve chosen not to support music playback is due to the relying on the libraries of the two devices being in sync. I can foresee users selecting music that is available on the phone but not the watch and then complaining that the app isn’t working properly.

If I am following you logic, that means something needs to be prompting the Apple Watch into workout mode where it is actively taking HR readings and relaying that back to seconds pro? I know the watch is supposed to pick up on workouts on it’s own but maybe it’s not doing that?

Point 2: So if music is disabled, the countdown alerts cannot be enabled?

The alerts and the audio are not related. The Apple Watch app has all the alerts the iPhone app has.

It’s happening the same with me. I start seconds from my phone for a HIIT type exercise and I rest the iPhone somewhere my trainer and I can view and monitor steps and heat rate, however the heart rate takes too much to update (5 minutes or so), showtimes when I switch to another app (to read an email or a message for example) and then go back to second, the the best rate it’s updated!!

below come my settings:

App Settings

System:

• App: Seconds (Upgraded)
  • Version: 3.7.1 (build 227)
  • iOS Version: 11.2.6
  • Device: iPhone 8
  • Locale: en_MX

Health:

• Share with Health: true

Health Writing:

• Mindful Session: Authorised
  • Workout: Authorised

Health Reading:

• Date Of Birth: Denied
  • Height: Denied
  • Body Mass: Denied
  • Biological Sex: Denied

Alerts:

• Using system player: true
  • Alert volume: 1
  • Internal music volume: 1
  • Internal ducking volume: 1
  • External ducking: true
  • Vibrate on alerts: false
  • Alert tone: sine

Voice:

• Language: com.apple.ttsbundle.Paulina-compact
  • Sample text: (null)
  • Pitch: 1.147436
  • Speed: 0.5

Timer:

• Lock on play: true
  • Disable auto-lock: true
  • Pause on interruptions: true
  • Hide statusbar: false
  • Long press buttons: false
  • Tap timer to play/pause: false
  • Beep on taps: true
  • Notifications: true
  • Remote control: true

Apple Watch:

• watchOS Version: 4.2.3
  • Paired: true
  • Installed: true
  • Complication: false
  • Alerts: true
  • Volume: 1
  • Haptic: true
  • Skip Restart Screen: false
  • Pool Length: 19
  • Pool Unit: m

Misc:

• Preparation Interval: {
    "_type" = int;
    color = 0;
    duration = 0;
    halfwayAlert = 0;
    indefinite = 0;
    music = {
    "_type" = music;
    persist = 0;
    resume = 0;
    shuffle = 0;
    volume = 1;
    };
    name = “Get Ready”;
    rest = 1;
    split = 0;
    vibration = 1;
    }

Seconds is designed to work with a paired heart rate sensor. Is this how you are using it?

Nope, I’m using only with apple watch, the point here is that it can read from time to time the heart rate from the Apple watch…