Things I’ve noticed

Hey! Love the app right now.
I thought I’d give some feedback about what I think would be an improvement to users.
On a short side note, merged statistics in one screen (1RM over time for all main lifts, 5RM likewise; total volume) is something I would love in the app.

But on with the things I’ve noticed:

• When you use the “repeat workout” function the timer on exercises doesn’t seem to go off automatically in the new workout
  • let’s say I did 3x5x100kg Deadlifts last time. Today, my first set was 6x105kg, so an improvement for both reps and weight. (at least) with improvised workouts (and “repeat workout”s too), the app auto fills 105kg for the second set, but auto fills 5 reps for the second set. That’s confusing: either use the new values (whatever my last set was!) or auto fill the second set of my last deadlift workout.
  • the workout history that appears when you slide up is very helpful. However it can become uncomfortable to read. Instead of 5x100kg, 5x100kg, 5x100kg i would like to read 3x5x100kg. Maybe other users like it separate, so maybe it can be a toggle setting?
  • Leg press. In order to get a true 1RM calculation I’d need to add the sled but that’s very impractical. It would be amazing to be able to create exercises that have a “base weight” setting (the sled in this case). Alternative exercise/weight calculating mechanisms are something that could benefit other exercises too. For example you could have a toggle titled “add current body weight to base weight” - benefitial for pull ups. To advance things further, users could toggle the current body weight slider on and set a percentage of calculated body weight. Sounds confusing, I know. Example: push ups - you don’t really push up 100% of your body weight, more like 70%. That would make it possible to create a proper chart of a progression from body weight pushups to pushups with extra weight on your back.
  • also a possible enhancement to individual exercise settings: one-sided weight input. For example, I deadlift 100kg, and can enter 40kg if I choose to input what’s on each side of the bar.
  • setting body weight inside a workout rounds it up or down to the nearest 0,5kg step. I weigh myself to 0,1kg accuracy…
  • notes per workout session. Workouts with notes get a different color dot on the calendar.

That’s all for now, maybe I find something else in the future :slight_smile:

Thanks for the app!
Eric

That’s correct. When using the repeat workout option it doesn’t use the routine, because you may not have performed the routine exactly. Instead it creates a new routine based on the workout you performed. However, this will not define rest times, intensity, RPE, etc.

This will be based on your Smart Value settings. Without knowing what settings you are using I can’t comment further.

This is only possible if you perform all sets with the same number of reps. This is something I personally rarely do. I imagine others are the same as me, so this wouldn’t work.

The whole bodyweight issue has been something that has been on my mind since I created the app. This actually seems like a good solution. It also ties nicely into a new feature I’ve just added where unilateral exercises have their volume doubled.

As mentioned above. I’ve added a feature where you can mark an exercise as unilateral. This is good for dumbbell or cable exercises. This feature will double the volume in the stats, but keeps the 1rm as one side.

Personally, I don’t see the benefit of having 1 sided barbell input. Typically, you know the whole weight you want to lift. Having to add bar weight to each exercise to allow one sided input seems futile.

I’ll look at this.

I don’t really see the point of workout notes per session. Most notes will refer directly to the exercise/set you were performing. It also causes issues with exporting, as the CSV export would lose this information.

I’ve been thinking about this some more as I’m hopefully going to implement it today. I’m not 100% sure what you mean by “true 1RM” now. However, let me explain what I think would be useful and therefore what I will do.

The app uses the following formula for calculating 1RM:
Epley formula

So let’s take an example from my gym. The 45 degree leg press sled weighs 50kg. I only log the weight I add to this. So let’s say I do 10 reps with 300kg added. The app will currently calculate my 1RM as:

300 × (1 + 10/30) = 400 kg

Where as my “True 1RM” will be:

350 × (1 + 10/30) = 466 kg

The problem with this 466 kg value is that someone might try and load 466 kg plus the sled and crush themselves. Whereas the weight they could possibly do for 1 rep would actually be 416 kg plus the sled.

I’m not sure if this is what you mean by “True 1RM” but this is what I’m going to change the app to use.

A better example would be if you used this for bodyweight. Take pull ups. If I can do 10 pull ups with no added weight at 85 kg body weight it would look like this:

85 × (1 + 10/30) = 113 kg

Now, my 1RM could be calculated as my bodyweight plus 28 kg.

The only issue here is that bodyweight can fluctuate. Having a setting within the exercise wouldn’t work as well here.

I’m not sure I understand… The timer goes off just fine with an Improvised Workout. It’s based on the “Timer Preset 1” in the settings pane.

These were messed up in my app, thanks for pointing it out!

Programmings like SS, 5x5 are – from what I understand – based on doing a fixed number of reps/sets (3x12/5x5) and then maybe failing on your last rep of the last set.
I realize there’s lots of people like you though, which is why I’d suggest making it a setting, classical or grouped set display.

I just realized I am one of the very few people I know who count like that. Not even on all exercises… alright, forget it :wink:

Thank you. Another thing I noticed; maybe it would be a nice improvement to prefill the body weight value with that of the last workout? Keeping it at 0 (because I forgot to enter it, or didn’t even weigh myself recently) breaks the 1RM/bodyweight stat.

Let me give you a common scenario for me: I do deadlifts, rows and pullups all on one day. Sometimes I go all out on my grip with deadlifts, rip my hands in the progress, and have real trouble doing pullups by the end of the day. That’s worth not only a note on pullups (explaining the reason for less reps), but deadlifts too (the main exercise I improve my grip with).

Regarding the base weight / body weight issue in the second post: I get what you mean. Well, I’d say it’s pretty clear what the real 1RM is: 466kg in the legpress example, 113kg in the pullup example. What matters is only what the sled weight or body weight was when the exercise was performed.

How that should be stored and displayed in the app is a problem, I agree…
First of all, a good start is to give users the option to toggle the chart between with vs. without base/body weights (how much do I need to load for 1RM vs. how much real weight would I move with 1RM).
Regarding changing body weights (and the possibility of changing the sled weight), the chart could get a new toggle where you could switch from “based on current/most recent base/body weight” to “based on base/body weight at the time of exercise”.

For example, if I would perform the following workouts:
01.01.1970: 1x10 pullups at 80kg bodyweight (1RM: 106.66kg)
10.01.1970: 1x10 pullups at 85kg bodyweight (1RM: 113.33kg)
20.01.1970: TODAY, not started yet, bodyweight at 90kg (entered in app). 1RM would be 120kg if I performed 10 reps today.

So with the setting at “based on current/most recent base/body weight” it would show a 1RM of
01.01.1970: 120kg (shown in chart)
10.01.1970: 120kg (shown in chart)

With the “based on base/body weight at the time of exercise” setting it would show:
01.01.1970: 106.66kg
10.01.1970: 113.33kg

The pre-filled exercise weight value for today should (in both cases) be the current body weight.

It’s getting more interesting if you added extra weight to the pullups.
Then it gets very similar to the legpress example, but even more complicated (unlike body weight, base weight is usually fixed throughout workouts in legpress, except when you change gyms, which some people do a lot… but I guess as base/sled weight is stored per exercise, not per exercise per workout, it would be technically too complicated to enable to modify that base weight).

Actually, this is by design. If you are following a routine (which you are if you repeat a workout) then rest needs to be defined in the routine to start the timer.

This stat is actually being removed.

I see this as an edge case that’s easily resolved by adding notes to both.

I don’t see the point in this. Surely, the only number you need to know is the load you could potentially lift for 1 rep. Not what that load is added to any potential base/body weight.

Here I would say that not all Leg Presses are equal. If the sled is a different weight it should be listed as a different exercise. This would be the same as using one leg press exercise for both horizontal leg press and 45 degree leg press.

This cannot happen. The reason the app is able to present the charts quickly is that all these figures are pre-calculated when you perform the set. They are not calculated when the data is read as that happens way too often.

What I’m considering is setting it up so that changes to the base/body weight would only affect newly logged sets. This works for body weight. However, if you then app a base weight to a leg press you don’t get the historic update.

To solve this I’ll add a button that recalculates the statistics based on the current base/body weight.